Illamasqua I'm The One: Blurred Lines Emily Ratajkowsi Make-up Tutorial

I'd seen this picture on illamasqua's instagram a while back; exciting stuff, as I always find their collections to be very inspirational.  I'd almost forgotten about their upcoming Valentine's Day collection until I received a black envelope in the post, addressed to KELLY LOUISE PITT.  Hmm, that's not my name!?  I opened it anyway... it was a card from illamasqua!  And it'd be a shame for me to not use that great monkier that has landed on my doorstep, right?


Illamasqua's Valentine's Day collection is called I'm The One, focusing on self love, a great spin on the selfie generation!  If you hashtag a selfie of you blowing a kiss as #imtheone, you could win items from their new collection: pretty sweet!

So yesterday I had my first go at a selfie for the competition.  This morning illamasqua liked my photo on instagram and i'm on the live feed on their website, yay! :)


Today I figured I'd do another red lipstick look, so as my muse, I turned to the gorgeous Emily Ratajkowski, most famously known for her cavorting in Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines video.


What a babe!
Her make-up is pretty minimal with the big flush of full red lips.
I'm suprised this is the first time I've tried to recreate this look, as it's not too far away from how I wear my make-up everyday.

PREP
Her skin looks naturally glowing, so I used my ancient old SK 2 moisturiser to give myself a super soft face.
Her eyes are wide, so I patted my MAC Fast Response Eye cream under my eyes for an awake look.
To prepare for the eye makeup, I actually put a generous amount of the eye cream onto my eyelids, to give them a sheen.
Finally, I put on lots of MAC Natural Radiance Primer in Yellow all over my face.  It contains small flecks of a golden colour to bring more light to the face and is great at gently softening imperfections.


FACE
Emily looks very fair in this video, so normally I'd have gone to use my Liz Earle Sheer Skin Tint, but as i'm troubled with allergies at the moment, my skin is a little pink and so needs a tad more colour.
I recently bought the MAC Prep & Prime Beauty Balm Compact in Light and I'm really liking it so far.  It gives the colour and coverage I desire without any of the heavyness of a foundation.
I traced the outline of my lips with my YSL Touche Eclat in 01 Luminous Radiance, a lovely pink tone that's expensive but damn it works so well!  Tracing my lips like this makes them look fuller.  I also applied it to the sides of my nose, my brow bone and then took care to apply a tiny bit underneath my lower lash line; I find too much concealer under the eyes usually ends up backfiring on me!
Emily has a beautifully structured face, so what with all the camera lighting, it's hard to tell if she has anything at all on her cheeks, so for my interpretation, I rubbed just a little of Natural Collections Bourbon Bloom high up towards my hairline, just under my cheekbone.  
A generous amount of Tom Ford's illuminate shade from the Shade and Illuminate palette was tapped along my cheekbones and slightly onto the apples of my cheeks.
 
 
BROWS
Big brows wow!
I wanted to keep mine dark, full but natural, so I went for Bobbi Brown Mahogany Eyeshadow applied with a Bobbi Brown eyeshadow brush.
Then I combed and set them into place with my E.L.F. Eyelash Gel.


EYES
The sheen on her eyes looks to have a slight tinge of colour, so I went for a tiny bit of Sigma Liquid Highlighter in Luminesce.  Using just my fingers, this was rubbed into the eye cream that was already on the lids, creating a soft focus effect.
I lined my upper eye rim with MAC Technakohl Liner in Brownborder, a slightly red based brown.
My lower rim was lined with Illamasqua's Hex, a flesh tone to open up the eyes.


Many, many coats of Barry M Lash Vegas mascara were applied to get that spidery effect.
I let the mascara clump, then brushed it through with my E.L.F. and MAC eyelash combs until I got the look I wanted.
 

LIPS
I lined my lips with MAC Cherry pencil and then put Illamasqua Sangers over the top.
I'm not too sure about the colour accuracy for this pairing, maybe using a less blue based pencil would have helped.


So here is todays Emily Ratajkowski inspired selfie!

 
 
 

Hopefully I'll be getting myself a better camera in the future, but I can assure you in person the look is pretty similar :)
I'll certainly be doing this look again.  I liked my eye cream and highlighter mix for the eyes so I think i'll try that out with some other shades.  As far as the red lips go, I could really do with some new illamasqua bits ;)

- Kerry


0 comments:

Post a Comment