HOW TO: Depot Mac Eyeshadows and Pre-Made Quads

 Last year I'd seen the buzz over Mac Cosmetics new 15 Eyeshadow Pro Palettes in Warm Neutral and Cool Neutral and was drooling at the thought of owning them.  The colours in both are beautiful, with each containing palette exclusive shades as well as repromotes and permanents.  The big downside to them is the fact that they are pre-made, so the eyeshadows are stuck in the palette.  That's fine if you're an MUA used to lugging about a load of make-up, but I can't say I'm a fan of big palettes for travel.  So I've talked myself out of them... for now.

A compromise with myself was to expand on what I already own in Mac shadows.  I've managed to fill one pro palette already with depotting most of my single eyeshadows and three from my Julie Verhoeven Eye Kit.  I have a couple of Mac quads that I barely use as I'd never use them as a set of colours alone; they all require additional shades for me to make them work.  I'd get more use out of them if they were depotted, as then I could mix and match my Mac shades with ease and even pop them in my 2 or 4 eyeshadow palettes if I needed to travel with them.

This is an expensive pursuit if you're in the UK though, as a Single Pro Palette costs £14 and the 15 Eyeshadow Insert is £6.50, so this depotting mission cost me £20.50!  The upside is that your depots will count as b2m and you'll have a stash that works for you.  You can also buy Double sided Pro Palettes at £18.00, but I wasn't keen as you can't see the shades without opening the palette.

I decided to depot my Haunting single eyeshadow and my Athma, Lady Grey and Evil Eye quads.


 HOW TO: Depot a single Mac eyeshadow

You will need:
  • Hair straighteners
  • Tweezers
  • Sticky magnets
 Start by prising the eyeshadow pan from the pot.
It should pop out easily.


Then place the pan on your straighteners.
You may wish to put some baking paper on the iron to protect it, but mine was fine without.
This will heat the plastic slightly so that we can push the eyeshadow pan out.
Around 30 seconds should do, though it depends how hot your irons get.
 

Remove the pan from the irons with your tweezers as the platic will be hot to the touch.
Once the plastic is heated sufficiently, push the back of the casing.
This will push the eyeshadow metal pan out from the plastic part.
If it won't push out easily, just repeat the heating with the straighteners for a few more seconds.
 

Carefully, as the metal and residual glue on the pan may be hot, add a thin magnet to the back.


Now to get the label off the pot, place it on your straghteners, about 10 seconds should do.
 

Then you can peel the label off with your tweezers and place it onto the back of the metal pan, over the magnet.
 
 
DONE! :)
Don't forget to keep the empty pot for b2m.


HOW TO: Depot the New Style Mac Pre-Made Quads

Ignore what the rest of the internet says, this is HARD to do!

 You will need:
  • Tweezers or a knife
  • a Lighter
  • Sticky magnets
  • Stickey Labels
  • a Pen
  • persistence!
Start by prising your tweezers or knife into the back edge of the palette.
This is completely easier said than done.
Don't start on the very bottom edge of the palette, as that has little attachments underneath that will be hard to push against.
I started along the side edge with my tweezers but I  just ended up scratching up the palette, 
so I tried a knife, but as the knife point was thicker than the tweezers it was useless.
I carried on with the tweezers, you need a lot of force to prise between the casing and the back cover, and then once you've got beween those two layers, you need to flip your tweezers up so that you can push along the outer edge of the casing.
As you do this, you'll hear all sorts of terrible snapping sounds, though no part of my casing actually broke.
 

Here's what the inside of the palette looks like,
you can see those little attachments on the bottom edge.
 

Then you get a lighter and heat the underside of the pans for 20 to 30 seconds.
This will burn the plastic and there will be fumes galore.  
Push through the back to pop the pan out, as with the single shadows.
 
 
 Somewhere along the line, I managed to cut the top of my thumb, as when I went to pick up a sticky magnet to pop on the back of the pans, I noticed I was bleeding very badly.
oops :/


So that called a halt to my depotting madness.
I added sticky magnets to the back of the pans and then wrote labels for them too.
 

And there we have a depotted single and quad, with the eyeshadows sat in my new pro palette.
 
 
Remember to be careful when messing about with these types of activities!

- Kerry 

1 comments:

  1. Last year I'd seen the buzz over Mac Cosmetics new 15 Eyeshadow Pro Palettes in Warm Neutral and Cool Neutral and was drooling at the ... imaceyeshadow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete